Friday, August 8, 2008

Trust

Mosiah 7:19

There is a song called Gravity by A Perfect Circle on the album Thirteenth Step. I know, I know, it’s Maynard from Tool but sometimes, just sometimes, even Maynard can be inspiring. Like this line from the aforementioned song:

I am surrendering to gravity and the unknown.

We can receive inspiration from almost anywhere. I say almost anywhere because I don’t think I’ve ever learned or been inspired from a Cosmopolitan Magazine or when I am self absorbed and mopey about my life. When I get all excited about doctrine or going to do temple work I find that little things in TV, movies, music, or books stand out as help in my life.

When I read the phrase “put your trust in God” from today’s ponder scripture surrendering to gravity and the unknown popped into my head.

It is difficult to put our trust in something that is unknown. Sister Elaine S. Dalton, President of the Young Women General Presidency, stated “Your foundation of faith must be firmly centered on Jesus Christ. Having that kind of faith means you rely on Him, you trust in Him, and even though you do not understand all things, you know that He does.”

For some, faith is as easy as eating a big bowl of chocolate/vanilla/strawberry ice cream. For some, faith is as hard as the lactose intolerant person that wants to eat the big bowl of chocolate/vanilla/strawberry ice cream. So, have faith even though you are surrendering to gravity and the unknown…I know it’s not that simple.

Does Heavenly Father exist?
Can he do for me what he did for the Israelites?
Do I need to keep doing surrendering?
Will surrendering to gravity and the unknown get easier?

I can tell you that the answers to these questions is a resounding yes.

1. For some it is given to have faith.
2. For others it is given to believe in those that have faith.

If we fall into the first statement. Freakin’ have faith.
If we fall into the second statement. Find out who your faith havin’ friends are and listen to them.

lds.org
mormon.org

1 comment:

FPrince said...

I don't know that it ever gets easier, but it becomes more of a habit and less of a crazy idea to have faith. Good experiences can motivate us to try the Lord again.