Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Another Repentance Scripture

Jacob 6:5

I’m not sure why all my scriptures lately are about repentance. I have been reading the Conference Ensign. Maybe that’s it. Let’s see how many conference talks are about repentance. In the topic index (p. 3, Ensign, May 2008) there are five talks on repentance. But that’s what it boils down to, right? Faith, repentance, the Atonement, the Restoration, and our relationship to the Godhead.

I don’t want to say if we take care of those things then we are golden because by all means, we are not. We’ve gained a luster but we aren’t shiny. Maybe it’s the relationship with the Godhead that we need to focus on today. Yes, let’s do that.

1. We are daughters and sons of our Father in Heaven.
2. Jesus Christ is our brother.
3. Both Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us.
4. Heavenly Father loves us so much that he is sad when we do bad things. Remember, God only has children, no grandchildren, just children, hence the name Heavenly FATHER (dad, papa, papason, padre, dada, daddy, old man, pop).
5. Heavenly Father would like to see us again but because of our choices we become estranged from him but he still loves us.
6. Heavenly Father sacrificed his son so we could repent and see him again.

Real life example (minus my dad sacrificing my brother). When my parents got their divorce it didn’t take me long to start seeing my dad again. I loved my dad. I wanted him in my life. My sister, on the other hand, that’s a different story. My parents split in 2002 and my sister sent him a birthday present for the first time in four years in 2006. May I tell you, that is a “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind” kind of step for my sister. Forget about the time when my sister came over for Thanksgiving 2007. She said she’d be to Dad’s at 6:00 PM. Right at 6, Dad started looking out the window and opening the door looking for her car. My sister is pretty consistent at being late. We love that about her. When she showed up he was ecstatic. It was four years for her to process her feelings. Did my dad love her any less because of her choice? No. But how excited was he when he saw her come over again? I’ve never seen him so happy.

This is an example of repentance. This is the healing balm of the principal.

How great is the doctrine and principle of repentance? I submit that it is more than great. I submit that it is awesome. Heavenly Father forgives and forgets. No really, he does.

lds.org
mormon.org

No comments: